Sunday, October 10, 2010

Battlefield Promotion


Sarcasm.... it is a touchy subject in the education world.

Officially, the use of sarcasm is frowned upon in the classroom. I mean... we MUST be concerned with their fragile ego and self-esteem. (Yes, that was sarcastic! I couldn't help myself.) I have heard a few reasonable and academic arguments for not using this particular technique, but I always liked the way Relient K (awesome band, FYI) describes the power of words in their song,Bite My Tongue.

I've never broken bones
With a stone or a stick
But I've conjured up a phrase
That can cut to the quick

On the other hand, I truly believe that sarcasm is the native language of most teenagers, and if you are going to live your life firmly entrenched inside another culture, you may as well speak the language. When in Rome.... :)

That being said, it is rare that the tables are turned against me and I am forced to fight off an attack with a weapon from my own arsenal.

Me - **walking around the room, supervising students, and doing other such teacher-y things**
boy - **looking up, contemplating my verticalness** "You're tall!"
Me - "Thank you, Captain Obvious!"
boy - "You're welcome, Lieutenant Sarcasm!"

It was in that moment that I knew I had been bested and could only walk away denying him the satisfaction of seeing me smile.

You may have have won the battle kid, but the war is MINE!!!

-Mr. F

No comments:

Post a Comment