Sunday, November 13, 2011

T.O.Y.

It's that time of year, voting for our school's teacher of the year has begun.

...And while it is hard to get excited about the process that encourages us to NOT vote for the "best" teacher, but the one who is the "finest example of the profession" (aka... the teacher who will look the best on the forms they fill out for the district T.O.Y. competition), I began thinking back to teachers I had in school that had an impact on me.

What I have found that makes a good teacher isn't necessarily what they teach a student, but how they make that student feel. As the years have gone by, I have forgotten some of the content taught, but I still remember leaving a class feeling smart, important, and even liked, which sometimes made all the difference.

As for my schooling, I know plenty teachers I had who match that definition, whether it was the way they managed their classes, the passion they put into their job, or just how they treated me in general... they are important to me.

So thank you Mrs. Hubbard, Mr. Jenkins, Coach Butcher, and Mrs. Harris. I don't know if you have won any awards, but I appreciate everything you did.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about you? Feel free to leave a comment below about any teacher that made an impression on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment