Sunday, September 4, 2011

Early Days

It's still early in the year, but I thought would share a couple of stories that have happened so far. These are the kind of little things that keeps this teacher coming back for more!
-----------------------------------
Being a social studies teacher, I REALLY like using Dr. Mark Forget's teaching methods. His activities are a great way to integrate reading and writing skills into my curriculum.

One of his activities is called an "Anticipation Guide." I had passed out the guide to kids and was going over how it was used, but one little girl was adamant that she use her own notebook paper because she didn't want to get the Guide "messy." I laughed, but insisted that it was okay to write all over my worksheet. After some huffing, puffing, and pouty lips, she put her notebook paper aside, and we finished the activity.

So imagine my surprise the next day when I am grading papers and her notebook paper is stapled to the back of the guide worksheet I gave her. My first reaction of irritation quickly subsided as I flipped over to her notebook paper, only to find the paper blank except for three words near the bottom, "Love This Class."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am pleasantly surprised each year by the number of eighth grade students that say they miss my class from the year before. ESPECIALLY, the students that I felt like I was constantly having conversations with about poor behavior choices and being responsible for their actions. So it was quite a surprise when one such student came up to me with an announcement while I was walking to my car after school.

"Mr. Farnham, I want to be a teacher when I grow up because of you."

Now I don't know how serious he is, but if, at the least, my words and actions have caused him to take school a little more seriously, that is great, and if he does grow up to join the teaching field, then I hope I have been a good example of how to treat students while getting them to learn about the world and themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment