Saturday, November 6, 2010

All You Need Is... Time?


-Boys and girls chasing each other up and down the hallway because they have not yet learned the subtle art of flirting.

-Students yelling to each other from across the room because they lack a proper definition of a private conversation.

-Girls constantly checking themselves in the mirror to make sure their hair and makeup is perfect for the boy that treats them badly and probably doesn't deserve their attention in the first place.

-Boys laughing as they release the newest development in biochemical warfare from their backsides.
----------------------------------------------------------------
All it takes to give most adults nightmares is to remind them that these same kids will be out in the real world soon, and who knows, one of the them may even be the future President of United States!

Before that thought frightens you too much, just calm down!!! Let me tell you a little secret.... ...they will eventually mature! I know, I know... looking at some of the youth out there makes you question that last statement, but trust me! It really does happen.

The beginning of the 2010-2011 school year meant that the first group of kids that I taught at my current school are now seniors in high school. Staying at the same school for the last seven years and the wonders of Facebook means that I have been able to keep in touch with some of these students.
  • Remembering the girl that yelled often and had the bad habit of throwing her pencil whenever she got mad... She's now a young lady and able to hold a reasonable and intelligent conversation.
  • Or running into the boy that whined too much and often spoke like a baby when I had to talk to him about his behavior...Now he's able to look me in the eye without any trace of a childish tone in his voice.
  • Or what about me?! Thinking back on my own school experience and knowing how embarrassed I would be if someone judged me on how I acted at certain times during the school year!
All of those examples serve to remind me that the current crop of knuckleheads sitting in my classroom will eventually figure things out, mature, and be productive members of society. How do I know? Well... it happened for me, and it happened for you!

I guess you have to look at your students as wine or cheese. Be patient with them during the awkward stages, and yes, a few of them will always be spoiled or stinky, but the majority will only get better with age!

-Mr. F

No comments:

Post a Comment